5/15/2011

What sort of treatment is available for, and at what point should I seek it, depression so strong I have tics?

Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still
waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and
answer them

What sort of treatment is available for, and at what point should I seek it, depression so strong I have tics?I am diagnosed with major clinical depression, suffer symptoms of adult ADD and Aspergers, and am being treated with medications for the clinical depression (wellbutrin xl 300mg). For the past 24 hours or so, my condition has been deteriorating to the point where I am constantly near the state of tears and every few minutes the stress builds up so high that I suffer muscle spasms and twitching that lasts up to five seconds, generally involving my arms or head. I'm not feeling suicidal, but there is a distinct and crushing weight of being in the wrong life (and the right one, unfortunately, is 100% unattainable in modern society). It's not so much "I want to die" as "I wish I wasn't alive" (an important distinction, it's kept me alive throughout a lifetime of depression).

So I suppose I'm asking, and I know the legalese about "not meant for diagnosis or treatment, etc...".

What additional treatment/therapy may be available,

and,

is what I've described a crisis situation?
in re: to some uncertainties by my first two answers:

Meds:
wellbutrin for 2 years, 1 year on Paxil CR before that.

Spasms/Twitches/Tics
I've had the muscle twitch/spasm symptom on both meds and pre-medication. Internally it feels like a storm of stress building up in the back of my brain and then releasing suddenly down the back of my neck and down my arms, causing shaking, twitching, and clenching of the jaw and fists. Frankly... it physically hurts when this happens.

-Terry Miler
It sounds like your medication isn't working. See your doctor about a new treatment plan. You may want to seek counselling too. Most states have a mental health department that offers assistance - counselling, support groups, etc. Find a reason to want to live and enjoy life - whether it's hobbies, friends, pets, religion, etc. I've suffered from depression in the past when my self esteem was low. When I developed a more positive self esteem, the depression simply went away.

-Brian L
I would say that yes, you are in a crisis situation. It's obvious that the Wellbutrin is not working for you. An interesting note is that in a very small number of cases, Wellbutrin does cause muscle spasms in skeletal (voluntary) muscle groups. Occasionally it goes away after several weeks of being on the medication. I don't know how long you've been on Wellbutrin, so I can't say for sure that that's the problem.

At any rate, you are on an exceptionally high dose of Wellbutrin XL.

That being said, you should call your doctor as soon as possible. Tell him your symptoms. And make damned sure that he doesn't blow you off - if he does, find another.

Share your answer? Leave your own answer in the comments! About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info


Orignal From: What sort of treatment is available for, and at what point should I seek it, depression so strong I have tics?

No comments:

Post a Comment