4/24/2011

I want to adopt either a boxer or boxer/lab mix but have loads of questions first.?

Gooarthritis.info edited the following:

I want to adopt either a boxer or boxer/lab mix but have loads of questions first.?I live alone near my college campus and I don't always feel very safe. I have one dog already. Her name is Dingo, she is a 14 year old Aussie. I love her very dearly and I know that she would defend me if necessary but she is getting old now and I really want to feel more protected. Plus I know how heartbroken I will be when Dingo passes away, I won't be able to consider getting a new dog once she is gone, I really need to do it now. I want either a boxer or a boxer/lab; I love the the boxer breed and am also familiar with the "boxador" mix but I have several worries and would appreciate any advice.
My biggest concern is how a new dog will get along with Dingo. She is loving, playful, extremely well behaved, and still has a good amount of energy. She typically gets along with other animals but she can also be very jealous (she whines when I pay too much attention to the cat). My experience with Dingo has taught me that she adjusts better with new animals if I bring them in as babies. Also, in her old age she has developed arthritis. It isn't very serious yet but every now and then she'll limp around for a day or two.
I am worried about the energy level of the boxer and lab breeds; I don't want Dingo to get hurt by a puppy who just wants to rough-house but I'm not sure how to prevent it. Also, any tips on preventing competition between two dogs would be a huge help. Is it better to have two females or a male and a female? How to deal with jealousy? Should I involve Dingo in the puppy's training? Lol I was serious about having loads of questions!
Another concern is that I'm a college student and so by definition very busy. I spend 20 hours a week in class and 25 hours a week at work. During the week I am only gone for 2-5 hours at a time but on the weekends I can be at work for upwards of 14 hours. Obviously this won't work with a puppy. I can rely on friends to help out in the early stages to make sure puppy gets to go potty every 3 or 4 hours, but I am concerned about how being couped up could effect behavior. Is a cage a good alternative until the dog is trained? Are there any bad behavior markers I should look for to tell if the puppy is getting bored?
I'm sure that I can commit to daily training and play time I just want to be sure that it will be enough. I also want this transition to be smooth for both dogs. Anything you think I should know about the breed(s), websites or books I could read, anything I have overlooked please let me know! I'd like to be as well prepared as possible and appreciate any advice anyone can give! Thanks!

-Chi-Ting Monkey
Firsat off, your gonna get alot of negative answewrs, but not from me, i think you love your dogs and want the best and that is all you need. i recommend a boxer more for protection as compared to a mix. also with a mix it is hard to know what to expect medically. im not againt mixed breeds , it is just my opinion. if you have a female get a male but not 2 females. 2 male sis ok too. sorry to say but girls that fight always fight. boxers are great with all kinds of people and other animals and as long as you train her from the get go ahe will know not to mess with your aussie and your aussie should be the leader as she is the elder and the male will be submissive to his woman just like we humans are ha. its actually quite amusing to see them act together. a cage is ok but if there are long periods when your ghone make sure it is big enuff to play in until the dog gets bigger. just get the big cage cause youll need to upgrade anyhow. as far as behavior just make sure any free time is spent with the dog and focus on training . it is key. my dogs stay now 8012 hours and are fine. but having a babysitter or someone stopping by to let them out and maybe walk or play for 15 min will work wonders. your dog will get used to its schedule and yours. lastly look at its parents temperment closely. the puppy will be like mom and dad. personality and all. look into doggy daycare for the weekends too it would be good and alot the time you get free training just from the pup bein g there. hope this helps

-scrgrl
My concern is that you don't have enough time to look after a puppy. If you're convinced to get another dog, I think it should be an adult based on the amount of time you can give the dog. I'd never get a dog without having at least a week to devote to it to get everything together. A young adult dog (preferably from a shelter) is what I'd recommend.

Helpful answer below. About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info


Orignal From: I want to adopt either a boxer or boxer/lab mix but have loads of questions first.?

No comments:

Post a Comment