4/30/2011

Arthritis Info: Are there any alternatives to Zubrin (arthritis medicine) for my golden retriever?

Do you find what you need? Look here!

Are there any alternatives to Zubrin (arthritis medicine) for my golden retriever?My dog was recently diagnosed with arthritis in her lower back. The doctor wants to keep her on Zubrin for long term. I'm totally fine with that, because I want my Goldie to feel her best. But it is so expensive and my husband and I are just starting out and don't have a lot of money. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any less expensive alternatives?

-Arizona
consider asking your vet about "etogesic" to medicate your animal.Easier to tolerate for long term use too.
It is much easier than many other drugs on their liver and kidneys.
It has also been on the market for awhile and may be more cost effective.

-Annie
Unless she's horribly crippled, I'd start with a buffered aspirin with her food twice a day. two if she's a really big golden. Note -- buffered. That's important. Most dogs tolerate buffered aspirin well. A few don't, you'll know quick because she'll puke or have loose stools. If she does, you may wish to try:

Rymadyl (I've had no problems, I use the lowest effective dosage -- tell your vet you want to "start low" and see what works. Wait 1 week for full effectiveness).
Medicam -- I never had much luck with this stuff

Adequan -- this isn't a painkiller, but adds to the synovial fluid in the joints - like adding oil. Not cheap at first (several loading doses required) but you're down to once a month or even less after 2 months. You can get a prescription from your vet and learn to administer it yourself -- a shot. Makes it much cheaper.

Also look for your dog's meds on line and get vet to write a prescription.

What do you think? Answer below! About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info


Orignal From: Arthritis Info: Are there any alternatives to Zubrin (arthritis medicine) for my golden retriever?

No comments:

Post a Comment