4/24/2011

I have a 12 and a half year old golden retriever with bad arthritis.?

Hi,I did the following:

I have a 12 and a half year old golden retriever with bad arthritis.?Its his two back legs that are giving him the most trouble. He is my parents dog really since I moved out of home 2 years ago, but I grew up with him as a child. As the winter sets in and it gets colder my parents wont allow him to stay in the house, so he sleeps outside in the freezing cold. It breaks my heart to see him shivering in the cold. He has a kennel (with no blanket) but he doesnt use it. I have given out to them and asked them nicely to let him stay indoors but they never listen to me.
I was thinking of putting a hot water bottle in the kennel with a blanket and heating the hot water bottle up every night, what do you think, is there anything else I can do for him?
P.S. I cannot take him home with me as after all he is their dog and I wouldnt have the space for him, and I wouldnt want to move him from the only home he has known his entire life.
Any tips or advice would help, Im really looking for home-made tips and advice, like if there is any food I can give him 4 the pain

-chel_c
i know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially one you've grown up with. but the best thing for that case is to put him down. we had to put my dogs down because of arthritis. he also would not sleep in his kennel. but if putting him down is not an option, i would suggest maybe an electric blanket on low. a battery operated one if they make such ones. or a big quilt. if you parents have a garage, even that is better than outside. good luck, i feel for your situation.
<3

-animal lover
It is very sad to hear that your parents are treating this dog this way and I am hoping that what you consider "freezing cold" is not really freezing.

First of all, make sure that your dog has something warm and thick to lay on to keep him off of the cold ground. This will help ease his discomfort and is soothing as well.

A good additive to help relieve his pain and discomfort is something easily purchased for people and not nearly as expensive if purchased this way. I purchased gluicosimine with MSN for my golden and it helped her tremendously. I purchased it from Costco and gave her one pill daily. You can also purchase something from your vet but it is usually signifigantly more expensive and not as effective. This I was told by my vet.

This probably won't be of comfort to know, but goldens are prone to hip displasia and at his age there is not much else that you can do but try to make him comfortable.

The life span on most goldens is 8 - 10 years so he has outlived his life expectancy and as long as he is comfortable enjoy him as much as you can and keep him warm, happy and as comfortable as possible. Don't let him suffer.

My golden lived to after her 14th birthday with out any undue pain. Part of acheiving this was making sure that she maintained the correct weight. At one point she was overweight and had we not taken the excess weight off of her she would never have lived to 14+. Our girl died in her sleep with no pain after giving us a lifetime of love.

If you are concerned about his living situation please talk to your parents about it. They may be open to your taking him home in the evenings and returning him home in the mornings. Unfortunately I don't know your situation so I can not recommend anything else but love and comfort for your life long friend.

What do you think? Answer below! About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info
How To Grow Taller Children
A guide on how to accelerate growth in children through the right combination of nutrition, exercise and sleep. The first guide for growing taller children ...the people actually still growing
How To Grow Taller Children

Orignal From: I have a 12 and a half year old golden retriever with bad arthritis.?

No comments:

Post a Comment