5/18/2011

Should I buy a horse with arthritis?

Gooarthritis.info edited the following:

Should I buy a horse with arthritis?I'm starting a kids camp and want a horse that is extreamly mellow. Looks like I've found one. He's an old race horse that injured his fetlock in front foot. According to the owner, this has perfectly healed. He has developed some arthritis in his back legs and can't run and shouldn't be rode by anyone more than 150 pounds. However, he is the sweatest horse in the world and I think he'd be great around kids. I want to indroduce young kids to horses, and a horse like him would be wonderful since he's as soft and sweat as a puppy dog. I have no reason not to belive the owner, and the owner says the horse needs no medication. Since I'd like to use him for young kids, I'm thinking he'd be perfect. Except of course, if he's going to cost me thousands of dollars down the road because of his arthitis. So my question is, should I buy a horse that has 2 bad legs. And if I do, what is the worst case scenario? How bad can arthritis get? Help!
I just wanted to add that the horse isn't old at all, he's only 8 and is so so nice. And if you're going to leave me an answer, please elaborate....oh man you should is meaningless!

-cougarjones
oh man of course you should!

-Sweetask
Yes he needs love just as much as any other horse. With proper therapy he can have an active life. I recently visited a horse farm over a vacation and the horse had special shoes to protect his hooves and rode fine with arthritis. If you dont ride him too much it will be fine. Plenty of therapy and love and he will be a fine horse especially is he is only for kids.

Helpful answer below. About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info


Orignal From: Should I buy a horse with arthritis?

No comments:

Post a Comment