4/30/2011

Arthritis Info: How does a young person deal with rheumatoid arthritis?

Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still
waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and
answer them

How does a young person deal with rheumatoid arthritis?I am 18 years old and I had severe rhuematiod arthritis. I have been unable to make peace with my pain for months now. I am taking prednisone, plaquenil, and a muscle relaxer but nothing is helping with the pain. The prednisone has help with the inflammtiod but not the pain :( I have sever pain in my knees, ankles, heels, and fingers. I am extremely limited with my range of motion, and now I have sit down while I work (I'm a cashier, I sit on a stool at my register). My Rheumatologist sent me to an Orthopedic surgeon because he was clueless as to why I am still hurting. But the ortho said there was nothing he could do and sometime in my life I would need a replacement. But what can I do now!?!?!?! The pain has left me depressed because I am unable to attend school because I cannot sit in the classrooms and because I cannot make it anywhere on time. I'm 18 years old why am I dealing with this. Does anyone have any advice?

-icechelly24
Well, I don't want to say anything bad about your doctor, but it sounds like the treatment you are on isn't enough. Plaquenil is a great drug, but it may not be enough. Something like Methotrexate, depending on your health history, may work well. We have a lot of patients whose symptoms drastically improve with it. Also, there are biologic agents like Enbrel or Humira that have greater side effects, but are also very effective at helping slow the disease. It is important at your age to find a treatment regimen that will work well for you. Preventing progression and destruction of the joint now is very important to ensure that you can have the highest possible functioning later.

If I were you, I would talk to your doctor about these drugs and see if maybe they could work for you. We have a lot of patients your age that are on the biologics and their RA is in remission. I know it may be hard asking the doctor, as you don't want to insult him/her, but it is your health that is most important.

Please message me if you have any other questions. I hope this helps!

Give your answer to this question below! About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info


Orignal From: Arthritis Info: How does a young person deal with rheumatoid arthritis?

No comments:

Post a Comment