4/25/2011

Arthritis Info: Have you ever tried dog boots to help them with their arthritis?

Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still
waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and
answer them

Have you ever tried dog boots to help them with their arthritis?I live in a small province in Argentina and I have to say that we don't have too much products for dogs in our vets, but I've seen on the net some boots and I might get them but I'm not sure it will help my dog. She has a hip dysplasia, and though she can walk well she has trouble standing up on the ceramic floor, so I was wondering if anyone has tried this neoprene boots, and if they indeed work. Thanks a lot for your answers, and sorry for my english!

I do give her a glucosmine supplement, but she's eleven years old now and she has a degenerative malformation in the hip or something like that, so I'm trying everything I can to help her. I know in the States you have acupuncture for dogs! I wish I had that kinds of aids in my province...

Actually the boots are ment to help dogs with trouble standing up, or at least that's the way they sell them. I give her Rymadil but not often because I've read that it has long term side effects. She has a bedspread where she sleeps but she's constantly moving around and lays down on the floor, so I have to help her all the time, and sometimes it hurts her because she tries to bite me a little bit. I'm trying to get that "arnés?" to lift her from her rear part.

-Rosalie
Your English is good!

What you need for your dog is traction - something to walk on that is not slippery. You can use dog boots, but you can also put down some rugs or carpeting that does not move around, and that will also help your dog to walk better. A long narrow rug in places she walks often can help her walk without slipping.

But yes, the boots work well, too.

You should ask your vet about giving your dog some Rimadyl for the pain, and maybe some fish oil. They will both help with the pain.

Also, a cool bed will also help - like this:
http://www.beyondbeds.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=130
It's expensive, but they last a long time, and work very well.

I have had many old dogs with arthritis, and these things work very well.

-Caninelegion
I'm not sure how boots could possibly help this (they are designed to protect the paws in rocky terrain and rescue people will not use them because they reduce traction) but another food additive that I'm using on my near 16 German Shepherd Dog mix is fish oil capsules (my vet also recommended it in addition to glucosimine/condroiten). At some point, pain medication will be needed (and it is rather expensive). There are also straps available that allow you to safely lift the dogs rear portion so he can then walk on his own. He will have trouble getting to his feet on a slippery floor regardless so unless you can carpet the floor, all you can really do is help him to his feet.

Always wanted to experience Argentina but I just haven't won that state lottery yet so I can't afford the trip.

What do you think? Answer below! About Arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Osteoarthritis - Related Conditions
Arthritis Medication, Prevention, Symptoms, Treatment and Causes by Gooarthritis.info


Orignal From: Arthritis Info: Have you ever tried dog boots to help them with their arthritis?

No comments:

Post a Comment